The winter months are almost over, and we can all breathe a sigh of relief. Before jumping merrily into the next season, it’s important to take stock of any damage to your home or business from the harsh winter weather and check in on a few oft-forgotten corners.
1. Change the air filters in your HVAC unit – A smart move any time of year to keep the system clean and running efficiently.
2. If you didn’t do this when we Sprang Forward, change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors – Don’t wait to find out the hard way that your batteries were dead!
3. Dryers and appliances that vent to the exterior – Especially if you use dryer sheets, this is super important. Lint and other things (receipts? Those theatre tickets from November?) can damage your dryer and cause fires. Also check exterior vents for animal nests or broken covers.
4. Gutters – Leaves and other debris like pieces of shingles or even bird’s nests can cause all sorts of bad things to happen, like water damage to your interior walls and ceiling.
5. Top and Sides – Check the roof and walls. Building materials have come a long way, but still take a beating over the fall and winter and even spring and summer. Check for missing shingles, signs of animal hideouts, loose shutters if you have them,